In recognition of the tireless determination and leadership shown by the Honourable Jim Munson, former member of the Senate of Canada, and his wife, Ginette Munson in the pursuit of a better Canada for Autistic people, their families and communities, Autism Alliance of Canada created the Jim and Ginette Munson Autism Leadership Award. This annual award is presented to an Autistic individual living in Canada who has demonstrated the leadership, determination and values that reflect Jim’s and Ginette’s commitment to the creation of a National Autism Strategy.
Autism Alliance of Canada is now accepting nominations for the 3rd Annual Jim and Ginette Munson Autism Leadership Award. The deadline for nominations is January 15, 2024. The winner will be announced at the 10th Annual Canadian Autism Leadership Summit in Ottawa which takes place on April 17 – 19, 2024. Nominees should embody the following attributes in their contribution to the Autism sector in Canada:
- Vision, as exemplified by a fulsome understanding of Autism in Canada
- Collaboration, as demonstrated by genuine and inclusive teamwork, with a commitment to promoting engagement with Autistics and government
- Acceptance, as shown by an understanding of the lives and spectrum of Autistic people living in Canada, and their families
- Openness to other perspectives, as demonstrated by big picture thinking and the use of evidence as essential to decision making
- Personal strength and integrity, as displayed by the personal attributes of tenacity, persistence and above all, kindness.
- Track record of action and impact, as demonstrated by a record of contributions that advance the goal of a better Canada for Autistic people across the country
Past recipients of the Jim and Ginette Munson Autism Leadership Award include autism and mental health advocate, Whitney Hodgins (2022), and Autistic advocate for the acceptance of people on the autism spectrum, Tom Jackman (2023).
To nominate a deserving Autistic person living in Canada for this award, please use this link. The deadline for nominations is January 15, 2024.
If you are an Autistic artist and creative spirit, and would like your art to be awarded to the recipient of the Third Annual Jim and Ginette Munson Autism Leadership Award, please use this link to make a submission.